Ready to Change the World?
A 12-Credit Online Graduate Certificate Program
Ready to change the world? You're in the right place at the right time. The "green jobs" industry—and especially renewable energy—is among the fastest growing sectors of the economy. To help meet the strong demand for specialized expertise in the field, the University of Connecticut (UConn) offers a 12-credit Sustainable Environmental Planning and Management (SEPM) online graduate certificate program that can be completed in 12-16 months. This 100% online program is designed specifically for:
- Professionals in the natural resources and sustainable environmental fields looking to enhance their skills and advance their careers.
- College graduates with a Bachelor's degree looking to break into the field.
- Professionals who have been in the workforce for a period of time and are interested in going to graduate school, but need the credentials to apply for a Master's Degree program.
Depending upon the electives chosen, at completion of the program students will be able to:
- Describe how ecological systems operate and change
- Describe how social, economic, and political systems affect ecological systems
- Identify essential components of decision processes and communication methods
- Apply geospatial skills in a planning context
- Develop custom geospatial tools using Python scripting
- Operate effectively in a team-based planning process
- Prepare an environmental management plan
- Evaluate an environmental management plan for sustainable outcomes
All credits earned in the Sustainable Environmental Planning and Management Online Graduate Certificate may be transferable to UConn’s Master’s of Energy and Environmental Management.
We are accepting applications for the Spring 2023 semester. The deadline is Friday, November 4, 11:59 p.m. EST. Apply now to avoid last minute processing delays!
November 4: Spring Semester
February 25: Summer Semester
June 17: Fall Semester
What They Are Saying
SEPM Graduate, Spring 2020
“The UConn Sustainable Environmental Planning and Management certificate is definitely opening doors for me, giving me the chance to interview for jobs that I would likely not have been qualified for prior to getting the UConn credential. Learning so much about environmental management has absolutely made me a more viable candidate for various positions.”
SEPM Graduate, Summer 2016
“If you are considering taking the SEPM online graduate certificate program, go for it! Not only will it enhance your ability to advance your career, but you can also apply the credits you earn to a Master’s degree at UConn, which is exactly what I did. It was a real win-win for my family and for me!”
SEPM Graduate, Fall 2015
"Eventually, I want to transfer the skills I gained in the program and do something on a broader scale—maybe city planning or working in the renewable energy field. Thanks to the UConn credentials I earned in the program, I feel like I have a fighting chance of pursuing my dream—even if I’m up against people with full Master’s degrees.”